Saturday August 19th, 2017

The exercise:

Write a four line poem about: a hard life.

Day got off to a bit of a rough start, having to clean up broken (more like shattered) beer bottles at Lions park. Around a car that was illegally parked in a handicapped spot. Surrounded by several more empty cans. Also found two empty 24 can beer boxes in the ladies washroom.

It was still parked there early afternoon (now with a fashionable parking ticket accessory). I'm pretty sure whoever it was got so drunk last night that they forgot where they left their car. I like picturing them still wandering around town right now.

Anyway. Things improved from there and I got most things I needed to do done before lunch. Made for a relatively relaxed afternoon. Good way to head into my weekend.

Mine:

Living on the streets,
How did I end up here?
Ah, what do you care?
Pass me another beer.

2 comments:

Greg said...

It sounds like the people who kept the washrooms so tidy the day before were replaced by their out-of-town cousins today then! I like your hypothesis about the car though... it makes perfect sense! And I guess we ought to pleased that they left the car there instead of trying to drive it home.
Hmm, for a Canadian you sound far too cheerful about living on the streets. I thought "Winter" was the Canadian solution to homelessness?

A hard life
It was clear, from her reddened eyes and peeling skin,
That life was wearing hard on her. With a grin
The wicked queen held out an apple that shone as red as blood,
And let her find a new life, as mysterious Mistress Hood.

[It's about time I wrote a little bit more about Miss Hood I think. I'll have to see if I can find the old posts already!]

Marc said...

Greg - yes, if the alternative was driving home drunk then they made the right choice. Still deserved the parking ticket. And one for littering, but I guess that would be hard to prove. Still worth a shot, I reckon...

Yes, a return of Miss Hood would be most welcome! Really enjoyed this poem, by the way. Great imagery and flow to it. Nicely done :)