Friday August 25th, 2017

The exercise:

Write four lines of prose about: the contractor.

It was actually chilly this morning - I even had a sweater on while eating breakfast. I think the high was around 25 this afternoon and it was utterly perfect.

So of course it's going to get hot again.

But! I will take this while it lasts.

Mine:

"Hey, do you have a second to chat?"

"What? Obviously not - can't you see that I'm busy building your new house?!"

"Yes, well, that's the thing - I only asked you to make a new tool shed..."

2 comments:

Greg said...

Being able to wear a sweater at breakfast sounds good! It's still warm enough here that I don't need more than a t-shirt outdoors even at 9pm, but it doesn't get any hotter than that, thankfully, so I'm not dying of heat, just slightly more comfortable than I prefer :) I miss my hoodies though, so I'm hoping for cooler autumn weather soon.
I like your contractor, he thinks big. I'm not sure he's going to get paid for more than a shed though... but maybe there's a lot of tools for that shed. Like... road-making tools? :)

Contractor
Contractor,n., Eng. via Latin. Deriving from contra (a type of rebel) and actor(a worker in a situation) a contractor is someone who opposes the people working and attempts to steal the work away from them. They are often compared with mercenaries, though mercenaries tend to have higher moral standards and can spell. Phone numbers for several contractors can be found at the back of this dictionary, with extremely competitive rates of commission.

Marc said...

Greg - sounds like the weather is much more to your liking in Kiev :)

I suspect my contractor will find a way to get paid, he seems the sort.

Ah, it has been too long since your last dictionary entry! So very pleased to see them make a return!